October is a time to enjoy the New Hampshire fall foliage, meet with the Presidential candidates, gather firewood and clean up the garden.
It is not the time to experience a historical snow fall, loss of electricity, broken trees and cancelled Halloween festivities.
The storm came quickly. In anticipation I picked up my snow blower and generator which I store in my Mom’s garage. I left her house when I literally saw a single flake. In less than an hour I was sitting in line of traffic watching cars trying to navigate up a slick and impassable hill.
At times like these I’m filled with a sense of deep self incrimination.
- Why didn’t you wire your house for the generator, you had all summer!
- Why did you wait so long to get the snow blower ready?
- You had all summer to fix the gasket around the glass on the wood stove.
- It’s October and you are already burning firewood, just wait till January!
- You had a cup of coffee with your Mom, if you left 20 minutes early that hill would not be a problem.
- You saw the lights blink, why didn’t you fill buckets of water in the bathtub to flush the toilets?
- Chances are, gas stations are going to be closed without power, the generator will need gas…
- You need 240 volts for the water pump why didn’t you wire up the transfer box for the generator?
- You have the stinking transfer box on the workbench, I bet you wish it was hooked up!
- You can melt all the snow in the world on the gas range but it will yield only a gallon of water
- A gallon of water is not enough to flush a toilet